This chickpea tuna-alternative is packed with tons of fresh veggies, plus a creamy, spicy sauce to pull it all together. This is a 100 percent unrefined plant-based party in your mouth!
For a hearty lunch, serve one cup of Tu-No on a bed of greens with slices of tomato.
- 3.5 Cups (2 15.5-ounce cans) of cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, reserve liquid
- 2 Cups diced cucumber (1 cucumber), remove and reserve seedy pulp
- 1 Cup diced celery (3 stalks celery)
- 1/2 Cup diced onions (4 green onions or 1/2 red onion)
- 1 Cup diced red bell peppers (1 large or 4 mini)
- Black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/3 Cup (2 ounces) cashews, soaked for one hour and drained
- 2 Tbsp prepared Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (juice from 1/2 lemon)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Seedy pulp from 1 cucumber
- 2 tsp no-salt spice mix
- 2 tsp Sea Kelp crystals (or 1 Tbsp of crushed seaweed), optional
- up to 1/2 Cup reserved liquid from chickpeas, for desired consistency
Greens and Tomatoes:
- 8 Cups fresh arugula
- 4 sliced plum tomatoes
Soak cashews: To soak, put cashews in a small bowl. Cover with plenty of water and set aside. If possible, soak cashews for 3 hours or longer. Otherwise, just soak them until needed for the may-no sauce in a few minutes.
Pulse chickpeas: Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. Use fork to mash chickpeas partially. Or, put chickpeas in food processor and pulse a few times until the garbanzos are roughly chopped. Stop and scrape bottom and sides to prevent accidental hummus!
Prep veggies: Rinse all veggies under cold running water. Cut cucumber lengthwise in half. Scoop out seedy pulp. Reserve for sauce. Finely dice: cucumbers, celery, onion, and red bell pepper, all as similar size. For more zing, add a spicy pepper such as Serrano or jalapeno if you like it hot!
Mix filling: Add veggies and roughly chopped chickpeas to large bowl. Rinse food processor bowl.
Make “may-no” sauce: Drain and rinse soaked cashews. Add to clean food processor bowl. Add mustard, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and seedy cucumber pulp. Process for one minutes to check consistency.
Mix: Pour may-no sauce over filling and stir until well mixed.
Plate: Scoop one cup of tu-no onto 2 Cups of fresh arugula with 1 sliced tomato. Enjoy!
“From the sea” flavor comes from the mixture of lemon juice, a no-salt spice mix and seaweed. For the no-salt spice mix, use Bragg Sprinkle 24 Herbs and Spices, Old Bay Seasoning or any other spice mix you like.
Filling variations: Experiment with varieties and quantities of chopped veggies. Add Serrano pepper, jalapeno pepper or red chili flakes, if you like it hot!
Keeps in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keeps in freezer for up to one month. If freezing, consider adding cucumber and celery later to retain crrrrunch.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Food processor
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, salad, lunch, quick, raw